1st Rotation : Ward 6B (Puan Liyana)




Assalamualaikum,


3 weeks had gone by. I just ended my first rotation of clinical internship at ward 6B (Obstetrics & Gynaecology, and Surgical), Hospital Serdang. I think it was apparent how anxious I was when I first started this rotation. Rightfully so seeing that it was the beginning of our clinical year. What more, we were attached with one of the, I don't know how to best describe the rumors I've heard about Puan Liyana. How she's strict, garang, or so they said. I actually got to see it first hand when I went for a ward round during my second year. She told off one of our seniors when she failed to answer her question regarding ONS. So yeah, even without the rumors, it was engraved in my mind that she is someone I should fear :D

On our very first day, we did not go to the wards/clinics like all the other groups, but we were the attendees of a talk by our clinical instructor at the main campus. Puan first asked us to prepare for a food label quiz at Makmal Diet. From that task alone, I think I learned a thing or two, basic skills that I should have as someone in this field. How to really read food labels. We conducted the segment in the midst of Puan Liyana's talk. I recall how proud I felt when Puan casually introduced us, "Hari ni saya bawa kuncu2 saya kat belakang tu. Pelajar2 dietetik tahun 4. Kejap lagi mereka akan tolong saya untuk satu kuiz." It was enlightening listening to Puan's talk. I imagined me doing talks like that in the future. Maybe in 2 or 3 years. 

Aku suka style Puan. She seemed to have observed us first before deciding what to teach us. Level kitorang kat mana, apa yang kitorang boleh handle. Because, yeah, tbh after such a long rest from MNT, and basically having a bit of fun masa foodservice internship, we were not very competent. What did she do? Puan start ajar pasal sistem kat Hospital Serdang dulu. Macam mana nak key in notes, access patients' record, memang she taught us one-by-one seeing that when we were given an assignment to clerk patients' data, we took a while sebab belum reti guna sistem. 

Lepas tu, Puan introduced us to the ONS in Hospital Serdang. Basically asking us to familiarize with them by taking us to JDS where we would take the formula when she told us to. She even gave us tips like minta izin dulu jangan main masuk je kat dapur, take notes of waktu kaunter susu tu buka bila, how to calculate patients' needs and nak kena amik berapa banyak tin susu as a supply for one day, or in cases of day offs, maybe two to three days. Puan likes to give us surviving tips yang tak pernah belajar pun dalam kelas. I've got them noted on every single paper I owned. Have got to compile the,one way or another so I can revise. 

Step-by-step. I swear Puan is a really good teacher. She knew what we need and when we need them. Puan tak sewenang-wenangnya bagi satu kes sorang, partly sebab ward 6B tak banyak referral. Ada lah dalam 1 ke 2 referral sehari, kadang2 takde langsung sampai kena amik dari wad lain. She mentioned that for a start, handling a case in a group would help in the sense that kitorang boleh bincang & fahamkan sama-sama. I agree. Dapat belajar in details when compared to having to handle cases on your own. Puan also let us did the assessment and occasionally diagnosis part dulu. Intervention tak sangat, kalau untuk kes kaunseling. Untuk kes RTF, yup, we would discuss and come up with the best prescription.

In week 2, as Puan said, clinical internship is an independent learning. From that week on, sesiapa yang ada case sendiri, kena follow up kes tu. Tak semua akan duduk mengekor untuk tengok satu case, instead masing2 akan kena settlekan kerja2 sendiri. Follow up patient, key in notes kat library, bagi kaunseling. Kalau takde case baru boleh join tengok case orang lain. 

Mostly kat ward 6B ni banyak kes DM, DM in pregnancy, GDM, cancer-related with a list of underlying diseases. Pening jugak lah kalau tengok diagnosis patient. Google is your best friend time ni haha. 

All in all, I had a great experience for the first rotation. Definitely going to miss the way Puan teaches us. Her tough love, like I always phrase it. Yes, she is strict, which is expected. She has a presence, a charismatic aura. Definitely can make you feel timid. Tapi Puan ada banyak pengalaman & tips berguna yang kalau kau tak berani minta, kau akan rugi. She jokes and laughs a lot lah sebenarnya. Sebab we were so foolish kot, selalu buat diri sendiri jadi bahan lawak, especially Zul  xD I aspire to be like that. Having a fun personality, but also a great presence. She is a role model. 












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Redang Mutiara Beach Resort: A Review (July 2017)

First Year Dietetics: Subject Summary

Special Unit: Institut Jantung Negara