First Year Dietetics: Subject Summary








This is not a typical short and sweet update. It’s going to be a long one which is kind of rare for me these days. Okay, I know I’ve been writing about my undergraduate life a lot but this post is strictly to talk about my program, Bachelor Science (Dietetics). As I just recently finished my first year, I’m going to talk about what I’ve basically learnt.
            
Before we start, let me just give some facts. I am an undergraduate in Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM), currently studying Dietetics. I went to an interview in May 2015. There were 2000 applicants, about 100 of them were called to be interviewed and eventually only 29 of us were chosen before another 3 were brought in for the second intake. So, there are 32 of us. I did go to another interview for the same program at Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM) which I obviously flunked. This was surprising because I found the interview at UPM to be much harder and thorough. The interview took 30 minutes when in contrast, the UKM interview only took like 10 minutes tops. So, I registered on 29th of August the same year and ended my first year on the 25th of June 2016.
           

            Now, there were four main subjects for the first semester namely, Principle of Human Nutrition, Basic Medical Biochemistry, Introduction to Human Physiology and Human Anatomy.
           

For Principle of Human Nutrition, I learnt about nutrients. All the vitamins and minerals. What are the effects of deficiencies and excessive nutrients to the body. Basic Medical Biochemistry was a bit tough. I was never a Chemistry genius but I actually love Biology. I basically learnt about metabolisms of all kinds of macronutrients (ex: carbohydrate metabolism, lipid metabolism, protein metabolism). It is fine if you understand but it takes a while for one to really fully absorb the pathways of these metabolism processes. We had lab practical every week too which I am not a fan of. I do not actually fancy research work because I find them too time-consuming and it feels like I can do so many other things instead. Lab reports were weekly group work.
           
On the other hand, Introduction to Human Physiology was much easier to tackle. If you took Biology in high school, chances are you have been thought about all the body processes/systems like circulatory system, respiratory system, excretory system, endocrine system, etc. Only that you will be taught about more detailed information and that is the tricky part. For Human Anatomy, you will be seeing the exact same figures as what you see in Introduction to Human Physiology, but instead of the bodily functions and how the body works, you will be learning about body structures. This could be hard because there are lots of them but I personally think it was an interesting subject. Not like Basic Medical Biochemistry, I actually enjoyed the practical for Human Anatomy because they did not only involve laboratory experiments (none actually) but we revised what we had learned in class to see if we can identify body structures and memorize them. In addition, there were no lab reports to be passed on. That is always a plus. Much better, we were given the chance to see real cadavers. Fun fact: Us Dietetics students and our Human Anatomy classmates, the Nursing students were the few of the earliest first year students to ever enter Anatomy Dissection Hall. Not even our Medic batch mates had set foot in there during the first semester which was funny because we are supposed to be related to food and they are the ones who should be seeing cadavers xD
            
I also took 3 mandatory university subjects, Human and Agriculture, Ethnic Relations and Malaysia Nationhood. To graduate, these subjects need to be taken. In addition, I did my LAX during this semester too. LAX is an English related subject which involves speaking skills and it is also mandatory. Every semester, there will be a subject related to English. It is either CEL, LAX or BBI. This is determined based on your MUET band. As I got band 5, I need not take BBI (usually 3hrs class every week, with presentations and final exam) but I need to take CEL (usually 2hrs class every week, no final exam, just assignments) and LAX (no classes, group work to be passed on to an instructor via online system, mainly involve speaking tasks). First semester LAX was Movie Review in which I meet my group members (randomly chosen, not always from the same programs, different band levels is possible), decided 3 movies to watch based on a 100- movies list given by our instructor, watch them and make movie reviews in a discussion that we record to be sent to our instructor online.

            For the second semester, there were 6 main subjects; Nutrition Throughout Life Cycle, Basic Medical Microbiology, Principles of Food Preparation, Human Genetics, Nutritional and Health Assessment, and Introduction to Psychology.
            

To start off, let’s talk about Nutrition Throughout Life Cycle. This subject is about the nutrition requirements in relation to life stages. For pregnant mothers, infants, toddlers, children, adolescents, adults and elderly. Depending on the nutrients needed, we studied how the eating patterns are for each stage. We also learnt about diseases in relation to the age. Basic Medical Microbiology on the other hand, we learnt about microorganisms. Bacteria, viruses and fungi. Pathogenesis, diseases caused by bacteria and viruses, and so on. In my personal opinion, it was not one of my favourite subjects. I just found it very hard to memorize tongue-twisting nomenclatures of microorganisms. For the lab practical, we mostly observed lab assistant doing procedures while answering her questions and occasionally given the chance to try some methods ourselves.
            
Next, Principles of Food Preparation. We studied about food. Fats, vegetables, fruits, starches, flour, cakes, pastries, milk, eggs, sweeteners, frozen beverages, etc. Food origins, types of food, preparation methods, nutrients in the food and food storage were some of the things we learnt. I really love the lab practical because we got to cook. Our lecturer will tell us what will each group do each week and we will be following the recipes from the cookbook that she wrote. Cooking is always a pleasure for me. After everyone had finish cooking, we presented our finished products to the class. Talk about its nutritional value, the procedures of making it, the result, the science behind the particular cooking method and ingredients used and then we conclude the presentation. After all the groups had presented, everyone gets ready to run towards the food and gobble up. That is actually the fun part in addition to the cooking process. For Human Genetics, well, we learnt about DNA, DNA mutations, diseases related to DNA abnormalities, etc. The practical was the hardest because the given instructions were written like essays. Sometimes, it got too confusing that we procrastinated a lot before finally doing them. But then, there were fun activities too. We got to build DNA models, self-made creatures from recycled material, etc. Some of us also got the opportunities to go to a primary school to observe the students’ traits to be recorded. I was one of them. It was fun but so tiring because we needed to match with those young’uns energy.










Principles of Food Preparation weekly practical



Human Genetics primary school visit



Nutritional and Health Assessment was a subject that taught us how to assess nutritional and health status of a person. So, there are many methods namely anthropometric measurement, biochemical assessment, clinical assessment and dietary assessment. It was easy to understand these methods but memorizing can be a bit of a problem here. You need to memorize Food Exchange System, BMI ranges, lipid profile, protein profile and so forth. The practical consisted of lab activities (biochemical assessment), a hospital visit, anthropometric measurement of each other and even a visit to a kindergarten (anthropometric measurement). One more thing, this was the only subject that OSCE was done for this semester. OSCE is basically a practical exam. My first OSCE was funny and tough at the same time (don’t ask me whyhaha). For Introduction to Psychology, we learnt about psychology. Personality, motivation, emotion, abnormal behaviours, stress, etc. We mainly did presentations by group with the given topics. It was interesting to learn about psychology but there were too much theories to be understood fully. Luckily, our lecturer was a laidback lady. It was always fun listening to her stories.


Hospital visit




            
In addition, I also took CEL for the second semester English requirement. Academic Writing. The lecturer was also a laidback person which was good because I always unintentionally come late to his class as it was located at another faculty, 10 minutes from mine and the subject before his class was the lab practical for Principles of Food Preparation. This lab always takes time. Every week, there was Take Home Task to be done online and sent before the due date. Besides, we also had writing assignments called writing portfolio.
           




            So, there you have it. My first year subjects. Overall, it was a wonderful year of learning. Many things that I had never dreamt of doing were done and I enjoyed every second of them. It is important to understand that all the opinions on the subjects are what I personally think and should not be deemed as facts or standard markers. Everyone has their own preferences and that is okay.

Comments

  1. Band brape for MUET yang layak mohon bidang ni?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg!! I found here because of the picture of the prawn and i am wondering why it is so familiar.After scrolling down,i saw my face here.Hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha, welcome to my blog, poh yoong!! ;)

      Delete
  3. Hi, I just getting called for dietetics interviews from UPM and UKM. When I was doing research on google for the course, I read your blog. Can you please share with me your experience in both of the interviews?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, firstly congrats on getting called for both interviews :) I'm glad to share my own experience but bear in mind that yours might be totally different.

      1) As I wrote in this post, the UKM interview was very short & simple. It was over in less than 10 minutes. I was interviewed with another 2 interviewees, one applied for optometry and another one applied for dietetics too. There were 2 interviewers. The questions were not too detailed, one of them being "Do you cook? Can you describe a recipe?". I feel like the questions did not reflect much on my interest in dietetics, more like just getting to know me as a person.

      2) For the UPM interview, yup, it was a tough one that even I question how I managed to excel it. There were 2 interviewers, one of them, I learned after studying here was one of the most feared lecturers because she's strict. I even felt her strict aura during the interview session. There were 4 interviewees including me. Out of the 4 of us, only I got accepted for Dietetics, 2 of them got absorbed into the Nutrition course instead (this course needs no interview) and another candidate was not accepted in any of the two courses (maybe she got accepted into another uni instead). My tips on answering the questions, try to be the first to answer so that it does not seem like you're copying other peoples' answer. To do that, you must think fast and the answer must be a high quality one. Do not simply give an answer just to be the first to talk. Try to be confident but not overconfident. It's okay to be nervous, as long as you can control it. Yes, you can prepare with questions you think would be asked, but be prepared for questions that you don't expect too. Critical thinking is needed for this type of questions (situational questions). We were the first batch for B. Sc. Dietetics in UPM to be interviewed. The other 10 batches before us were not interviewed. They want to find those who really want to study Dietetics, so make sure to show how much you really want it.

      I think that's all I can share. Good luck for your interviews, and if you get into UPM's Dietetics, don't forget to say hi ;)

      Delete
    2. Hi, thanks for sharing, its informative indeed! I have some more questions regarding UPM interview.

      You mentioned "try to be the first one to answer" means the interviewers will ask the same question and the interviewees need to answer the question one by one but need not to follow the turn (sitting sequence)?

      The interview was conducted in English or Malay or bilinguage?

      Will the interviewers ask about UPM such as the name of the Dean or any UPM-related questions?

      Delete
    3. 1) Yes, the same question will apply to the interviewees. There's no turn to follow, the interviewers would just let anyone brave enough to talk first start answering, but it is best to observe the other interviewees too before speaking, because two might speak at the same time. Tolerance is a good trait too. You don't want to hog all the limelight, might make you seem selfish. Moderation is the way to go.

      2) During my interview, we spoke in English. If I remember well, we were required to talk in English.

      3) My interviewer asked "why did you choose UPM?" So, I gave my reasons. I suggest you find out who are the Chancellor, the Dean & the Head of Dept. Although I was not asked about that, I'm afraid such question is a popular one.


      So, yeah, that's that. Btw, I applaud that you're asking these because trust me, they like students who ask questions. Always be curious, always ask questions. Then, you'll be good to go ;) Btw, when is your interview?

      Delete
  4. Hi, I'm going to the interview for this course very soon in this week. I've read your blog and I found it's very interesting and also its the course that I really want to study too.. May i know what's the questions that you being asked? I've done some research and realized that they will ask something that's totally none related to Dietetics.. is that true?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, congrats for being one of the candidates!

      I had my interview 2 years ago, so I do not really remember all the questions, but regarding what you say about 'they'll ask something not related to dietetics', that's not true. You ARE applying for the course, it is compulsory for you to answer questions relating to it. So, just do some research about dietetics, know the difference between dietetics and nutrition, what field you can be in as a dietitian, what is your goal as a dietitian.

      One of the questions I actually remember was my opinion on 'Soup Kitchen'. Therefore, it is also important to be quick at thinking intelligent and honest answers. You'll also be given a chance to ask questions to the interviewers, ask good questions, that you really want to know the answer to.

      There you go. I hope that helps. Good luck ;)

      Delete
  5. The lectures in UKM for the dietitian course is taught in malay or english? UPM is in eng right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the very late reply, I just noticed your question. In UPM, if there is no international students in class, some lecturers may teach in Malay, or any language they feel comfortable using.

      In UKM, I don't really know since I don't study there, but I did hear that the lectures are delivered only in Malay. But, that's just what I heard. You need to confirm that with someone else who actually knows haha

      Delete
  6. Assalamualaikum. I just came across your blog and everything seems so interesting and yet so scary at the same time. The interview sounds so stressful and I'm not a fan of practical sessions either :( I'm still not sure about whether I wanna be a dietitian or not so I wanted your personal take on it.

    Btw I loved how detailed this post was. It really gives a good insight :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waalaikumsalam, hi!

      I was a very quiet & shy student at school. Always have been lack of confidence, not one to actively participate in discussions, I hate interviews (I like writing more than talking which explains this). But, I know that I want to do this (study Dietetics, I mean). If I end up as a dietitian, then that's awesome, but if I don't, I know that I will have a broad knowledge about food & health that could be applied towards the betterment of my life & others. After years of being in this program, I developed a great amount of self-esteem, I am now one of the people who contributes the most during discussions or group projects. Theories are great, but practical sessions are what make you competent. What more, you're going to apply everything you learned to real people. People who would actually benefit from your interventions.

      I'm in my clinical year right now. Halfway through. I'm going to finish my study in June 2019, insha Allah will be graduating in October/November of the same year. What I do in my final year is an internship, dealing with real patients in wards & clients in the clinics. Managing cases like hypertension, chronic kidney disease, diabetes mellitus, kids who do not achieve their optimum weight, criticall-ill patients who eats through tube. You'll be surprised how much difference you'd make to them, to their life. Food is very powerful. Lack of it could affect your health, too much of it could be harmful too. Dietitians are the ones who would guide you to eat responsibly, especially when you have a disease.

      Yes, I agree with your statement. Everything does seems interesting, yet so scary too. In the end, any course you choose, there will be challenges, but these challenges are going to shape you into a better person. Besides, your mindset is the most important. As long as you think you can do it, you definitely can. Good luck, I hope you make the best choice for yourself.

      P.s: Thanks for reading. I found a shortage of reference for dietetics when I was thinking of applying for the course after my foundation year, so I wrote these kinds of posts for those who are interested. So they could get the insights, as you called it. Glad my writing serves its purpose ;)

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Assalamualaikum and hi sis, I'm still in my foundation studies in upm amd would like to pursue my bacelor courses in dietetics, thanks for the info you've shared!! It helps me to know what im going to learn if i choose this course :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waalaikumsalam , hellooo :) Wow, that's actually super awesome. I love your enthusiasm! Hope you get to achieve your dream and make a good dietitian some day. We need more dietitians and nutritionists, honestly. Oh, and glad I could help ;)

      Delete
  9. hye akak ;)
    saya pelajar asper , sya nk tnya dietetic n nutritionist sekarang upm dah asingkan kan ? dietetic ada iv but nutritionist tkde . tu ape yg sye dngar , then nutritionist ni perlu pointer berape ? n english penting tak ? sebab saye lemah dlm english . tpi boleh la juga sikit sikit .
    nutritionist ni belajar ape je akak ? sebab sya takut nk ambik diatetic sebab tknak bersaing dlm iv nnti :( . thanks tolong jawab tau akak ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hellooo ^^
      Yup. Dietetics & nutrition UPM memang asing. Ye, betul. Dietetics dah start ada iv sejak batch akak (2015/2016). Kami batch first yang di 'interview'. Pointer, akak tak berapa sure, tapi rasanya 3.3 and above. Yes, english is important. Takpe awak, boleh improve lagi English tu, yang penting awak confident ;) I know you can do it!

      Dietetics & nutrition dua2 belajar pasal makanan and the science behind it. yang membezakan dua2 ni, dietitians lebih kepada clinical (masuk hospital jumpa patients), nutritionists pula lebih kepada komuniti & lab.

      Kalau awak dapat offer pergi iv, akak sangat galakkan awak pergi. You don't know your potential selagi tak cuba. Ada juga yang pergi iv & tak diterima masuk dietetics yang ended up ambil nutrition. So, pergi je iv tu. Dapatkan pengalaman. Accepted or rejected tu belakang cerita. Faith can move mountains. Okay? ;)

      Delete
  10. Hello,
    Firstly, I really want to thank you for this blog. It was really helpful, specially for an international student who already applied to dietetics in UPM. Your blog made me feel comfortable and relaxed as I was pretty concerned about how well is the dietetics program in UPM. I got an email from UPM yesterday and alhamdullilah I got called for an interview. Would you share with me any tips or advices regarding the interview?. Annndd terima kasih once again💋! Hope to hear from you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi :)
      Wow, I'm honoured. Glad I could be of help. Congratulations on getting the offer! I'm truly happy for you.

      For the interview, yup, it was a tough one that even I question how I managed to excel it. There were 2 interviewers, one of them, I learned after studying here was one of the most feared lecturers because she's strict. I even felt her charismatic aura during the interview session. There were 4 interviewees including me. Out of the 4 of us, only I got accepted for Dietetics, 2 of them got offered for the Nutrition course instead (this course needs no interview) and another candidate was not accepted in any of the two courses (maybe she got accepted into another uni instead). My tips on answering the questions, try to be the first to answer so that it does not seem like you're copying other peoples' answer. To do that, you must think fast and the answer must be a high quality one. Do not simply give an answer just to be the first to talk. Try to be confident but not overconfident. It's okay to be nervous, as long as you can control it. Yes, you can prepare with questions you think would be asked, but be prepared for questions that you don't expect too. Critical thinking is needed for this type of questions (situational questions). We were the first batch for B. Sc. Dietetics in UPM to be interviewed. The other 10 batches before us were not interviewed. They want to find those who really want to study Dietetics, so make sure to show how much you really want it.

      However, this was 4 years ago. Since then, I think there would be changes to the interview format. Generally, these are the tips that I can convey. I hope they help. Good luck for your interview!

      Delete
  11. Hi! For the end session where you can ask questions to the interviewer, may I know what questions did you ask? Or any questions that I should and can ask?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! Tbh had to rack my brain to remember because the interview was 6 years ago xD I think I asked something related to clinical year. Churned out a question based on what the interviewers said about what we should expect from the 4 year course. I might have asked about HPUPM too. The hospital was in the earlier stage of construction at the time. It has now start its operation. So, a tip for asking questions; pay attention to the exchange of information throughout the interview. What the interviewers are sharing with you. Then, if there are anything you would like to know more about, just ask. That's the point of asking questions, right? You're trying to get an answer. To clarify doubts that you have in your mind. Hope that helps ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Redang Mutiara Beach Resort: A Review (July 2017)

Special Unit: Institut Jantung Negara