Beautiful but Scary (A Book Review: Gravity by Tess Gerritsen)

Assalamualaikum,



I just finished reading a book entitled 'Gravity'. It's a fictional novel about spaceships and astronauts. Hm. Who would've thought I have a thing for that. Well, I don't. As a matter of fact, I actually bought that book because it's dirt cheap at a book fair and from its summary I found out its heroine's name is Emma Watson. I mean, nothing else could top those reasons, right? ;)



At first, the pace is kind of slow, I almost stopped reading because there are too many complex scientific terms and abbreviations that I didn't bother to check their definitions at the given glossary at the back of the book. Oh, and if you're like me, had a basic knowledge of pure science, then there are many instances where you would just stop and realize, "Woah, I know that. I've learned about it" 

When you continue reading, it will start getting interesting. Maybe it wasn't written by a Muslim but I could learn a thing or two about Allah the Almighty. Space exploration involves a massive knowledge of technologies and stuffs. Human inventions and creations. The rocket for example. Millions of dollars is needed just to built one. But then, none of them could know exactly if a mission is going to succeed or the rocket would end up crashing on the land before it even pass the atmosphere. 

A landing would be interrupted by the unpredictable weather where even with very high tech equipment, we can't actually know what would happen. Even with very advanced machineries, if Allah doesn't will it, you'll fail. That's one of the lessons I extracted.

There are gruesome deaths. I don't want to reveal as to how those deaths occured but I was mortified just thinking about it, imagining me being in their place. Horrifying. But then, I actually think that's a plus because it made me want to continue reading. You might gulp and gasp all the way through though. 

It reminds me once again of my phobia of being in outer space along with my fear of the vastness of the ocean. Tell me about it. I love nature but they can be a bit terrifying. I mean, I love the beauty and admiring it from afar is certainly a million times better than to be IN them physically. 

The thought of not being able to step on something while in the sea or in outer space makes me nauseous. Even when stepping on this land called Earth, I can't steer myself fully out of trouble, imagine when I floats around. I don't trust myself enough for that.

Another thing, I would love me a Dr. Jack McCallum. One who really loves his wife to the point where he is willing to sacrifice his own life for her sake. Ugh, the hopeless romantic in me is showing >_<



The book was a good read. Simple as that.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Redang Mutiara Beach Resort: A Review (July 2017)

First Year Dietetics: Subject Summary

Special Unit: Institut Jantung Negara